So this is Christmas! Maybe you have some friends or family staying over for the night… Well, this isn’t my case this year, cause I live in a really tiny apartment. Instead, I’ll be at my in-laws place, but maybe I’ll be doing those sandwiches anyway! They are so good and easy! Perfect for a simple Christmas time lunch (the cranberries really add a Christmas feel).
The first time I tried those sandwiches, I could not believe how tasty they were! This recipe, that I took on The simple Veganista, really became one of our go-to recipe, cause most of the ingredients are always in our cupboard. Yep, this recipe isn’t only for Christmas!
Here is what you’ll need :
Makes 6 servings (you can easily divide the ingredients by two, as I did for the pictures, or keep what’s left in the refrigerator for a few days)
For the sandwiches :
- 3 cups cooked or 2 cans (15oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or chopped fresh cranberries)
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions (green onions), thinly sliced, white & green parts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Any kind of bread
- Lettuce or sprouts (optional)
For the dressing :
- 6 tbsp (1/3 cup) tahini
- 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) white wine OR cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
Start by mixing all the dressing ingredients together, until it is homogeneous.
In a medium bowl, roughly mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher. Add the celery, cranberries, nuts, scallions, salt and pepper. Also add the dressing, and mix well.
Assemble your sandwiches on any bread you like.